‘If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness.’ Job 33:23
Although there are many interpreters in Christian settings, often working as volunteers, there is very little in print to help them. This is therefore a must-read volume. A ground-breaking book, thought-provoking and encouraging.
The author demonstrates that the Bible offers:
* A command to interpret in church
* A model of a church interpreter
* A church interpreter’s code of ethics
* A method for interpreting in church
* A case-study on the attitudes and moral fortitude required of a church interpreter
* A code of practice for church interpreting
Much practical help and assistance is gleaned for those interpreting spoken and signed languages. Counsel is also offered primarily for sign language interpreters for:
* Interpreting the public reading of Scripture
* Leading and interpreting traditional hymns
* Interpreting through the medium of text.
Andrew Owen is a Communication Support Worker, working in London colleges and universities. He is responsible for the large Deaf Fellowship at the Metropolitan Tabernacle (Baptist Church) in central London and trains both spoken and sign language interpreters.